Tupac Assassination / Murder Print
Written by Staff ID22   
Thursday, 23 September 2004 23:04

The Tupac assassination has been a controversial and widely discussed topic in hip hop culture and beyond.

Whether the bodyguards where not paying attention or it was a lack of experience on the security staff or just a random act of violence, the assassination / murder of Tupac Shakur was a giant blow to the world of hip hop and many would say it was his destiny.

There have been many theories and assumptions laid out before the community by many people for many different reasons (mostly to make money off Tupac), but 11 years after the Tupac assassination / murder, hip hop's largest iconic figure; his murder remains unsolved and there is no real new evidence coming to light.

Here is what we know happened that night.

Suge's BMW After The Shooting

Murder Timeline

Saturday, Sept. 7
2:30 p.m. -
Tupac Shakur arrives by car in Las Vegas.

5:30 p.m. - People start lining up at Club 662, 1700 E. Flaming Road, where Tupac Shakur and Mike Tyson are to appear after the boxing match.

8:30 p.m. - People start leaving the Mike Tyson - Bruce Seldon fight that was held at the MGM Grand. Tupac Shakur attended the fight which started at 8 p.m. Tyson was declared the winner after 109 seconds in the ring with Seldon.

8:30 to 9 p.m. - Shakur and his bodyguards are involved in a physical scuffle with a man, later identified as Orlando Anderson of Compton, Calif., near the hotel's Grand Garden. Police do not believe the man was in any way connected to the later shooting of Shakur.

11 p.m. - Suge Knight was stopped on Las Vegas Boulevard by Metro patrol cops for playing his car stereo too loudly and for not having license plates on his rented vehicle.He was not cited and was released a few minutes later.

11:15 p.m. - Shakur and Marion "Suge" Knight are shot. Knight is driving and Shakur is in the passenger seat of the 1996 BMW 750 sedan that was eastbound on Flamingo Road. Shakur is shot three times in the chest. Shrapnel grazed Knight's head. A total of 13 shots were fired at the car Shakur was in. After the shooting, Shakur's car made a U-turn and head West on Flamingo. Police reached the car on the Strip where it was caught in traffic at Harmon Avenue. An ambulance then picked up Shakur and Knight taking them to University Medical Center, where Shakur underwent the first of three operations. His right lung is removed to stop internal bleeding.

Sunday, Sept. 8
11 a.m. - Knight is released from the University Medical Center.
6:20 p.m. - Shakur undergoes a second operation at UMC to repair damage from the bullet wounds.

Monday, Sept. 9
8 p.m. - Metro Police and about 20 friends and fans of Shakur are in an altercation over what police call a "misunderstanding." Tensions are calmed with help from a female friend of Shakur's and four men originally handcuffed during the scuffle are released. No one was arrested. Police have been patrolling outside the hospital out of concern for retaliation after the shooting.

Wednesday, Sept. 11
6 p.m. - Knight, accompanied by his attorneys speaks about the shooting to Metro Police for about an hour.

Friday, Sept. 13
4:03 p.m. - Shakur dies from his injuries.
7 p.m. - Coroner's medical examiner performs an autopsy on Shakur's body.
9 p.m. - Shakur's body is released to Davis Mortuary, which - at the request of Shakur's mother - cremates his remains.

Saturday, Sept. 14
11 a.m. - Shakur's remains are given to his mother, Afeni Shakur, who leaves Las Vegas the same day: never to return there.